I recently stumbled into a dilemma in my workspace. I decided to do some much-needed early spring cleaning at home and ended up with some majorly cluttered shelving. I have a lot of books, tchotchkes, and picture frames and I had no idea how to showcase my things in a stylish way. After much searching, here are some great tips I discovered:
- Use boxes and baskets to store items you don’t want in plain view.
- Paint the back of the shelf to make showcase pieces pop (You should go a few shades darker than your room color).
- Break up the vertical lines of book spines with a round vase or fun bookend.
- Use varying heights and shapes to draw the eyes across the shelving instead of directing it to the most cluttered, unorganized spot.
- For books and other texts you rarely use, stack horizontally to break up all the vertical lines.
- Don’t be afraid to mount things on shelving to create an attractive focal point. You can use 3M hooks instead of nails!
- For bookcases with adjustable shelves, vary the heights for asymmetry.
- Risers help elevate small pieces, and give you more freedom to adjust heights to an assortment.